servicing 78 70hp johnson after set 10yrs+

douglas

Cadet
just purchased an old ebtidd boat with a 70hp johnson, I understand that it set 10+ yrs. after some transom work i took the boat out twice an it ran great. The only thing ive changed was spark plugs & gas lines. What other services can i proform to get good service out of the motor.<br /><br />New at this any suggestion<br /><br />----------------<br />Douglas

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: servicing 78 70hp johnson after set 10yrs+

Hi,<br />Impeller (waterpump) would be high on list what to change next on this outboard. Impeller wheel is made of rubber and it should be replaced about every second year (depending on condition the outboard is used in) together with gasket etc. A service manual is nice to have if you plan to do things like that yourself. Clymer, Selco or similar manuals should be fine for the engine you have.<br /><br />/Bo

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also replace gearcase oil with new oil should be a thing to do very soon.<br /><br />/Bo

douglas

Cadet

thanks bo<br />i changed the lower gear case oil yesterday, i had got a service manual from the library since this is my 2nd in 20yrs an it still didnt make sense to me (put the oil in the same port you let it out) but now i understand why,( to let the air out an to make sure its full). Im not that big of a dummy but im one off those guys that might take the boat out,leave the plug out and wonder why waters getting in the boat. Just got learn<br />Thanks again.<br /><br />--------------<br />douglas