bogged down evinrude

jray

Cadet
I have a 15 hp evinrude outboard 1995. It starts and runs fine for approx. 15-20 min. and then boggs down. Here are the things I've done to it so far<br />1. replaced thermostat<br />2. replaced water pump (getting a good stream(<br />3. replaced plugs (starts easily)<br />I get keep getting the same problem. Some guy at the boat ramp suggested I replace the "Poppit" valve. Does anyone know about this and could you tell me where on the engine it is so that I can replace it?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: bogged down evinrude

Have you confirmed, that in fact, the motor is overheating? Is the cylinder head hot to the touch when it slows down? Motor should run around 140 to 160 F.<br /><br />When water pump was done, was it housing, wear plate and impeller or just impeller that was replaced? How was pump body sealed to wear plate?<br /><br />Is motor used in saltwater? Flushed after every use?

lynmarie

Recruit

Does your fuel tank have an air vent. It may be possible that you are pulling a vacuum on the tank, thus stopping your fuel flow. [/LIST]

jray

Cadet

I replaced all pump parts and only used type M gasket sealant (OMC) for the pump plate as the manual directed. I run it in salt water and am carefull to flush it everytime. I recently took out the thermostat to test it. It "popped at around 140 F.<br />I don't think its a fuel thing because when it does bog down I quickly vented the tank and made sure the bulb was hard. <br />I'm really frustrated with this nearly new engine.<br />Any other possibilities before I decide to use this thing for an expesive anchor??

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

"I don't think its a fuel thing because when it does bog down I quickly vented the tank"<br /><br />How did you do that? By opening the Vent or Taking off the cap? Just curious. One more thing, did you replace the fuel line and bulb? Sometimes they collapse internally and stop fuel flow, as will a faulty Bulb!

jray

Cadet

rickdb1boat <br /> I vented it by opening the fuel tank cap. I think I'll borrow someone else's fuel line and bulb and give that a try. It couldn't hurt.. Thanks

leafs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you asked if the cylinder head is hot to the touch.<br />on mine i can not keep my hand on the flywheel,is mine running to hot?

jray

Cadet

leafs,<br /><br />You should be able to keep your hand on the cylinder head. It should only get about 150 F. You can get some thermomelt sticks to test the engine temp. <br /><br />Don't run your engine hot!!<br />I just brought mine in to the shop and it appears I have a head gasket problem now and probably more damage will be found when they open it up. We're talking about $400-$500 of repair on an engine that is worth about that much when its running well.<br />Dang!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It may be just a blown head gasket. Symptoms include overheating. Compression test will give a clue. If it's just the gasket, it's not that much. Probably < $75.00. Don't forget to retorque after a few hours running.

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe you should check the fludufinator. heh j/k, do you have a choke? can you choke the motor when it bogs, note the result. if it picks up and starts running its a fuel problem. id start at the pump, then carbs, then fuel lines.

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah i forgot, running in a lean condition will cause things to heat up. pre ignition = badd.