89 Evinrude won't start

Captain Andy

Recruit
My 1989 40 HP VRO Evinrude has been running great for some time. Last week, it started a bit rough but did start and ran fine for a while. It would start but would then die when put into gear. Then it would not start at all. It cranks but will not start. I have now changed the plugs, fuel filter, and emptied the gas tank and put in fresh gas and it does the same thing. Not sure what to check from there and in what order. Any help is appreciated.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 89 Evinrude won't start

When you dumped out that old fuel, did you take a look at it's condition?Was it water contaminated?There are alot of possibilities here,like blown head gasket ,dirty carbs,leaking primer solenoid.Do a compression test and get back to us in the morning.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Andy, also check each cylinder for spark (an inline neon spark tester works well).

Captain Andy

Recruit

Okay,<br />I did a compression check and one came out at 120 and the other 110. When I emptied the old fuel out of the tank, there was some noticable water in the tank. In looking it over today now that it is out of the water, I noticed the plug wires to be in bad condition as well and will replace those tomorrow. I did a test for a spark by grounding the plug to the engine and cranking the engine. I did not see any spark. When inspecting the new plugs I put in after doing some cranking, they do not appear to be wet. Once I replace the plug wires, I am not sure what to check next. One other thing I did notice, the plastic case on the front that looks as though it would house an air filter was empty. I had not checked that since purchasing the boat, but was not sure if a filter should be in there. No reference was made about it in the manual. Any ideas on that?<br />Thanks.

twiford

Recruit

Air cowl over carbs does not have filter. It simply is a water spray cover, and directs air input from carbs from the rear.

twiford

Recruit

Air cowl over carbs does not have filter. It simply is a water spray cover, and directs air input from carbs from the rear.

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

You must have spark before you can get it to fire. No spark at any cylinder will mean kill switch, CDI or stator. If the plugs are dry as you say you are not getting fuel either.Pull the drain plugs on both carbs to see if anything is getting there. It could be the float needles stuck closed from the bad gas or a bad fuel pump.