Novice ? 59 Johnson 35hp needs the experts.

Whitlers

Seaman
Need help with Synchronizing throttle and ignition advance and fuel saver linkage. <br /><br />1) How should I have the controls set when I adjust the speed control linkage.<br /><br />2)when setting the fuel saver Linkage same question how should I have the controls set.<br /><br />Sorry for the novice questions but the manual I have explains the above procedures but not in detail. I am new to boat engines and all help and any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks <br /><br />Also to the developers of this site --GREAT SITE--

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Novice ? 59 Johnson 35hp needs the experts.

I'd love to help,but it is sort of impossible without you giving a model # or at least a year or production.<br />Help me help you.

Whitlers

Seaman

Ahhh Shoot, Sorry year is 1959 I understand how to set the speed control by lining up aligning the speed control grip with the pointer but as the orig post mentioned how should I have the controls set or does it matter ? thanks for your help.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Same advice I give to everybody with engines like ours:<br /><br />Go to your local boat store and buy a copy of Clymer's 1956-1972 Johnson/Evinrude Repair Manual.<br /><br />That has everything you need to get and keep your engine running strong.

Whitlers

Seaman

Thanks I have a Johnson Service manual on order from Amazon am currently using manual from INTERTEC it is the WORST service manual I have ever seen.

Whitlers

Seaman

Are there any other document sources I should investigate?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The user friendly manual is, for me at least, the Seloc johnson evinrude from '56 till '72 for engines up to 40 horse.<br />I'll get back later on the subject question.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

hello.<br />Synchronizing can be just a bit tricky.I don't know if you do it with the flywheel off or on but it does not really matter.<br />It really helps if you take an alligator clip,stick a piece of wire on it,and stick it on the eccentric lock screw.Why? Once you have made your adjustment,you must move the accellerator by hand and the wire on the clip will amplify the beginning of movement that the camfollower will transfer to the carburator.This will enable you to do a very precise job. <br />Good luck.<br />Ps. I have to do this in instalments because I have to take care of my kids.

Whitlers

Seaman

Thanks Rolmops,<br /><br />I will take your advise. I live in a little town in Colorado named Loveland, I just got back from Denver more than an hour away I went to pick up both manuals you good folks recomended. <br /><br />I know about the kids I got to take my 6 and 4 y/o with me<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Jim W