1958 Evinrude 18hp starting problems

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class
I inherited this **** blender, and I brought home. I had to rebuild the **** gas tank so it will pressurize, anyways...<br /><br />I know this thing sat for at least 10 years. I don't know if it was drained or not. I know I get spark with this thing, and there is supposedly fuel in the float bowl(need to take it off?) <br /><br />What procedures should I take to diagnose this problem? I do notice that the plugs are not wet when i checked them for spark.<br /><br />Could the carb and hoses be fouled?<br />compression seems fine, but I don't think I have a compression tester around here.

ronnie33

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1958 Evinrude 18hp starting problems

open the throttle and spray a little gas through the carb.if it starts and runs a few seconds then dies,it isnt getting gas.then you might as well go through the carb and fuel pump.

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

i will try that tomorrow. I figure it wouldn't hurt to rebuild the carb for chits and giggles. <br /><br />I will also replace all the fuel line hoses as well

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, pulled the carb, cleaned everything in it, replaced all the hoses and such, still doesn't start.<br /><br />I noticed that now the plugs are wet when I pulled them after trying to start it, now did I loose electrical ignition?<br /><br />I tried to pull the flywheel off, and that sucker doesn't budge, and tips tricks lucky horshoes?<br /><br />I pulled the little thin metal cover off on top of the flywheel and peeked inside to see what was under there, all the electrical stuff, points, coils, etc. The coils are cracked and look like they exploded

Whitlers

Seaman

Use the search feature on top of this page to find "Flywheel removal" there is a ton of info there its how I finally got the flywheel of my 35hp 1959 Johnson <br /><br />Be patient it my take some time but it does come off. :)

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got it off. The coils don't look too hot, the insulation on them are broken and the points look pretty worn.<br /><br />The good news I found a place that sells that stuff. The bad news is I hope there is nothing else wrong with it.<br /><br />Now, lower unit oil, where to put it and check it.

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

anyone know how to change the lower unit's oil in this thing?