jOHNSON SUPER SEAHORSE 40 SPITTING GAS ON WATER

I have a 1966 johnson super seahorse 40 that runs great at high speeds but spitts gas on the water at low idle and on start-up, can someone point me in the right direction. I have replaced both coils,points,plugs and wires. THANX JIM

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: jOHNSON SUPER SEAHORSE 40 SPITTING GAS ON WATER

Unfortunately, not much can be done about it. It's the nature of the 2cycle beast. The older outboards were downright dirty. What is happening is, the engine is expelling the unburnt fuel out of the exaust. You might try leaning-out the mixture a bit, but be carefull..Too lean, and there wont be enough lubrication,and the engine will 'friction itself to death'.<br />But lean it out to a point where it just starts to run rough, then back out 1/8 turn.It should be close to ideal,on the lean side.<br />Perhaps the reason this engine has lasted this long,is due to running it rich,and great periodic maintainence.

To lean the carb out do I adjust the screw in or out?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes, in (clockwise)..Be gentle,and turn it in in 1/8turn increments, once every 10-15 seconds (to let the last adjustment you made, make all the difference it is going to make.One other important thing that I forgot to mention...Keep track of the original position,in the event you want to put it 'back where it was'.. At least, it is running smoothly there,and may not take to it's new adjustment due to it's age....Kinda like 12Footer :D