1977 Evinrude 200 hp Engine stalls

compoundxx75

Cadet
I have a 1977 Evinrude 200 hp engine. When I start it, it will run with the neutral throttle up and when just idoling. When I go to throttle up into gear it will run at a slow speed and when I try to put power to it it bogs and I have to put back in neutral or it dies. If I get it passed a certain point it kicks in and runs great, until shut down and let sit for a while, but getting it passed that point can sometimes be a pain in the butt. Cant figure this one out any help in this one would be greatly appreciated!

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 Evinrude 200 hp Engine stalls

Hi L. Meyer,<br />It sounds like the the intermediate openings, or jets are plugged that's the small holes that are just in front of the throttle plates at the top of the bore. These are supposed to act like the accelerator pump on 4 stokes. Adds a little more fuel to get you past the dead spot until the hi speed jets kick in and the timming is advanced.<br />Good Luck

Brew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might also want to take a look at your fuel line. If old and brittle it may allow some air into the system, starving the motor for gas just when it needs it the most. While your at it, change the fuel filter as it may be partially clogged.<br /><br />Let us know what ultimately fixes the problem so others with same issue will know for the future.<br /><br />Cheers.

compoundxx75

Cadet

ARA and Brew thanks for the tips. <br />Brew-got new gas lines on it and Im going to try a new fuel filter. I know the fuel lines not prob.<br /><br />Got a new case on this when I do get it to open up and run it wont do it again till shut off and then started back up. If I get it past the dead spot I can go to nuetral and then go into gear again and it will run like a champ. It will only do this after restarts and an initial forward thrust to get going. Once going acts normal and runs good. Maybe Im not letting the choke to unchoke itself before going?<br />Another thing when I put muffs on it it will not do it so its only doing it when in water and under a load.