were should the johnson pee from(1 more?)

leafs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1974 johnson stinger2(70hp) it pees water from quite a few places down low. but i know on alot of outboards you can be on the lake and you can see it peeing out the back up high so it is easy to tell the water flow is good. is this normal for this engine. or should it be peeing up high some were. i can not see were it could. anybody have an idea.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: were should the johnson pee from(1 more?)

Leafs.... The 1974 Johnson did not incorporate the water telltale feature that you're speaking of.

leafs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you<br />for the quick answer.

17winn

Cadet

how about the water(peaing) from a 1982 Evinrude 115 hp Joe or anyone? thanks Gene

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The "Water Outlet Telltale Feature" came into being in 1979.

leafs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

since my johnson does not have have pee hole up top is there away of making sure the water is making its way up to the motor.

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 69 Johnson has a tell-tale just below the cowling cover & the stream is visible just by turning around & looking. The stream is aimed towards the rear @ about a 6 degree angle from horizontal. It is not a true 'pee hole' but does let one know the cooling system is pumping water.

leafs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i don't think my has this at least there is no water coming from there

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

There is an exhaust port on the rear of the leg below the cowling, and there will be a spray of water there when the engine is at operating temperature -- not a great deal, but you will wet the palm of your hand if you put it behind the port when the motor is running.<br /><br />If the top of the heads are too hot to touch, the motor is running too hot. If you can hold your fingers or the side of your hand on the top of the heads for a few seconds, it's getting cooling water.