1972 Evinrude 85hp - Sparks in Reverse

Jacob_Weller

Recruit
Just wired a new Electric Start and new Amplifier Assembly on a boat that hasn't run in years. Everything seems to work (electrically), but I don't get a spark from the plugs unless I turn the head in the OPPOSITE direction from the way the starter turns it. What's up with that, did my bro wire something wrong?

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Evinrude 85hp - Sparks in Reverse

Hey Jake,<br />Interesting problem. For clarification, when you say "turn the head", do you mean turn the flywheel? Does the starter turn the flywheel in a clockwise direction? Are you saying you get spark if the engine turns in a counter-clockwise direction? Get back to us with the answers and we'll go from there.<br />Backlash

Trent

Captain

Are you saying you just installed a new starter? Did you get the correct rotation starter?

Jacob_Weller

Recruit

Clarification.<br />Yes, I'm turning the flywheel. I was tired when I wrote that, sorry. And no, we didn't buy a new starter, just a new ignition switch. When we sping the flywheet counter-clockwise, we get spark (We get a very good spark on all four plus, alternately of course). The starter turns the flywheel clockwise, at which time there is NO spark. My dad removed the flywheel and cleaned the magnets on the stator with emery cloth, but still no change. Ideas?<br /><br />Jake