Johnson 70 HP intermidiate range hesitation

spanboy

Cadet
I am experiencing a problem with my 1981 inline 3 cyl 70 Hp Johnson SeaHorse engine. Symptoms are an hesitation when attempting to gain speed. Just off-idle, in the intermediate range, much before full throttle, the engine hesitates a lot and even stall sometime. Only after gaining some speed that everything is fine in the upper part of the power range.<br /> No back-fire, the engine sputters and dies slowly. I do not suspect fuel supply to the carbs since high speed is ok I do not rule carbs problem though. Sparkplugs are new and no problems with the fuel line, filter and pump. Anyone has a clue as what the problem might be?<br /><br /> santos@cae.com

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 70 HP intermidiate range hesitation

SpanBoy..... Your explanation of the problem indicates fouled carburetors. The cure is to remove, clean, and rebuild them.

OldJohnson60

Cadet
Re: Johnson 70 HP intermidiate range hesitation

I found this topic by a search but my engine is doing the same thing, the powerhead is a 65 hp 1972 model. I just pulled all carbs and cleaned them very well. Could my timing be a little too far ahead of the throttle butterfly opening and causing this?