driveshaft stuck in upper unit - Going crazy...

tightline

Cadet
Okay - here goes:<br /><br />I have a 1972 40hp Evinrude (manual shift) <br /><br />Prop seal was leaking so I disassembled the lower unit.<br />All bolts have been removed & shift shaft disconnected at the side window<br />I droped the lower unit - it fell - the driveshaft stayed in the upper unit<br />As the lower unit fell it damaged the water pump housing and some driveshaft needle bearings went flying everywhere...<br /><br />Okay - so I'm okay with all this...<br /><br />I purchased a new impeller & pump housing<br />new needle bearing (by the way it's a open cage bearing - do I put the needle bearings back in one at a time held in place with vaseline???)<br />new prop seal & upper seal ect ect.. I have all the parts to re-assemble the lower unit<br /><br />BUT - the driveshaft is still stuck in the upperunit..<br />I pryed, I pulled, I vibrated, rotated and danced up & down - it's still stuck..<br />SO - I turned the entire engine upside down & poured a whole bottle of WD-40 and Liquid wrench down the shaft..<br />The driveshaft in now sitting in a pool of penetrating liquids - I waited 24 hours..<br />Then I pryed, pulled, vibrated, rotated and danced up and down again!!!<br />Still stuck!!! <br /><br />I am beginning to think the driveshaft is not going to come out..<br />Could it be possible - that in this particuler model the driveshaft doesn't come out?<br />Could it possibly be connected to the crankshaft???<br />I don't know anymore..<br /><br />Any help is much appreciated... Thanks in advance..<br />Sincerely,<br />Jerry<br /><br />PS: here is the motor info again<br /><br />1972 40HP Evinrude (manual shift) model#40252E

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: driveshaft stuck in upper unit - Going crazy...

Yes the driveshaft does come out. The upper end of the drive shaft is splined. As the water, oil, dirt and everything else that goes through the inside the housing it splashes up onto the drive shaft where it builds up corrosion. That is what is holding it in. Just keep working on it.

G DANE

Commander

If anything else fails:<br /><br />Try to grind a little mark on the driveshaft, where no bearing, seal or anything else runs.<br /><br />Use a wisegrip plier and press on really firm.<br /><br />Hit the plier with a hammer, downvards.<br /><br />I succeded in that on a 1973 Evinrude.

G DANE

Commander

Do a search for a post named "screaming of lower unit " many good suggestions

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

G Dane: Thanks very much for the archives search search tip. It is nice to know that there remains tolerance for the 'un-initiated' within a Pro's mailing list.<br /><br />Thanks for the help all of you guys have been to me in my quest to make 'Admiral' (@least on my slow boat)

tightline

Cadet

Thank-you All for your suggestions & help..<br />Unfortunately the driveshaft is still stuck - BUT i will keep at it - since I know for sure now that is has to come out - I guess I just needed a pep talk - i was getting discouraged.<br /><br />I know in time it WILL come out!

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tight line...<br /><br />I posted a question just like your about one of my engines. After following advice in the post G Dane suggested, I FINALLY GOT IT OUT YESTERDAY!. This was after a week of on & off trying, taking my time not to damage anything. The whole can of penetrating oil with the engine upside down along with much tapping, wiggling, and verbal coaxing is what did the trick. Am afraid tou are going to have to take the engine off & invert it to keep the oil in contact w/the splined joint.

tightline

Cadet

IT CAME OUT!! I had to invert the engine as slowboat said - after a few days soaking in the penetrating oil - I clamped the shaft by sandwiching it bwt two 2x4s held in place with 2 large clamps - whacked the 2x4s a few times with a hammer & it fell out - Thanks everyone for all your help - now the fun part - putting everything back together again ;o)<br /><br />What a relief! I thought this day would never come - the shaft splines were full of gunk!!<br /><br />PS: I wrapped a small piece of rubber around the shaft & clamped the 2x4s around it - so the wood wouldn't slip down the shaft as I whacked it

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

there is a special greese they use for slines,<br />good idea when you re-install. very ingeniuos<br />meathod :D