vro has to go

peter ash

Cadet
I have a 50 evinrude it has a vro 2 fuel pump but I want to change it to a standard fuel pump and premix my own fuel the engine is a 1989 and the fittings for the standard fuel pump is three bolt holes all in a straight line<br />I need part numbers<br />can you help

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: vro has to go

Ok it did't work out. This was for another post. Strange :(

mrustymac

Cadet

ok i think you were re: to my post but only the subject hedding is there now ...wow i know im tired but whats up with that? . anyways my motor is a 3 hp johnson 1966. your saying to take the carb off and clean it ? gonna come back this again tommorow and see if things are realy this messed up lol<br />Scott.

peter ash

Cadet

I could do with the part numbers as im going to a boat jumble tommorrow

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Peter,<br />I'm sorry for messing around in your post. <br /><br />To try to compensate you for that I did several searches? in this section for an answer. The qustion has been asked before but no answers. No list online. Nothing.<br /><br />Sorry :eek: <br /><br />(Bump)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Peter.... Rather than buy another fuel pump, boaters who want to do away with the automatic oiling setup usually go the following route.<br /><br />(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)<br /><br />You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:<br /><br />1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.<br /><br />2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.<br /><br />3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.<br /><br />That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

peter ash

Cadet

I want rid of the vro because it isnt working the engines dies at full throttle unless i squeeze the primer bulb<br />there are no leaks in the fuel line and if i raise the petrol tank and gravity feed the fuel it runs perfect <br />i need the part numbers

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

That will be a faulty fuel pump. A small hole in the diapharm. Get a fuel pump kit. That will do it.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

..or is the vro fuel pump a gear thing??

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the pulse line to the fuel pump for a restriction or leak first. Otherwise a new pump might do the same thing.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

If anyone is interested the letters VRO Mean Very Rarely Operates

peter ash

Cadet

ive checked the pulse line and its perfect<br />ive had this problem for ages but omc parts are like chicken lips<br />thanks for the part number clanton you told me before <br />i posted this topic a while ago (12 mnths)but changing my pc i lost the info<br /> :D