Carb Rebuild - Float Adjustment

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs on my '89 88hp evinrude. The Clymer manual does not give specs for the adjustment of the float, it just says to use an OMC gauge. Can someone supply me with these dimensions? There should be 2 dimensions: 1 for the up position and 1 for the down. The rest of the rebuild looks very simple, just take it apart, replace gaskets, needle valve and seat and clean everything.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

pennyanman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carb Rebuild - Float Adjustment

I was in the same boat... Try measuring the distance between the top of the float chamber (the cast throttle body, not plastic float bowl) to the bottom edge of the float with the old float installed (with the carb upside down). Then set the new one to the same dimension (I think it was about 7/8 of an inch but the best is to measure the old one. It worked out fine on my motor with no burps, misses or loading up, so I think they're close.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I thought of the same thing. What if the old float wasn't adjusted correctly. Does anyone have the specs?<br /><br />Pennyanman, did you need a special tool to remove the jets on the side of the bowl? The manual says to record the number stamped on the jet for proper replacement. Do the jets have to be replaced back into the same spot?

torxdrive

Seaman Apprentice

the float just needs to be level witj the carb bace with the carb upside down

pennyanman

Seaman Apprentice

I just used a standard thin screw driver. As far as the jets being ID, I didn't look, I assumed they were the same bore on each. Maybe I got lucky and got them back in the right spots 'cause the motor runs great. As far as float levels are concerned, I think the idle will give it away. Mine idled ok before and after. I've set floats wrong before and idle was either real rich or there was a lot of "sneezing" if they were set lean.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Try level with carb body gasket surface minus 1/16.