Motor will nto shut off

gw1975

Recruit
I own a Johnson 1982 235 that starts and runs great. Problem is that when I turn the ignition key to the off posistion the motor continues to run. I am currently shutting it down by holding in the choke. I have replaced the ingnition switch thinking that it was a bad switch but that the problem continues to exist. Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Kenb

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Motor will nto shut off

gw1975,<br /><br />It sounds like the wrie from the stator is connected to your switchbox, instead of being routed back to the battery. The engine keeps running when you turn the key off because the stator is supplying power to the ignition circuit.<br /><br />Check your wiring using a wiring diagram.<br /><br />I hope this helps, and I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions.<br /><br />Good luck, Gold Bear ;)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The shut off wire is black with a yellow stripe. Somewhere it is not connected. Check the harness on the motor to make sure they are all plugged in. The connection in the red cannon (main) plug may be bad. The black/yellow going forward to the control may be bad also. When you turn the key to "off" the black/yellow makes a connection to ground to kill the ignition.<br /><br />Good luck!

gw1975

Recruit

It has been almost a year and I finally got around to fixing the problem. Just wanted to let you know that your advice was dead on. I ended up replacing the wiring harness from the key switch back to the engine. Now when I turn the key off the motor shuts off. <br /><br />Just wanted to say thanks for the info. You guys provide a great service!! Keep up the good work.