Starter spindle spins but does'nt engage Flywheel

pgilli

Recruit
I have a 1991 Johnson 60Hp OB, The starter spindle is spinning but not engaging the flywheel. I tried two fully charged battery's. I rotated the spindle and engaged it manually and it would hardly attempt to turn the flywheel. I could hold the spindle on the starter with my fingers and prevent it from spinning. I bought a rebuilt starter $180.00 and it does the same thing. Did I buy a bad starter? Is there anything else that could cause this condition? I jump the 12V directly to the Starter and it still behaved the same way. I used the boat every weekend this Spring and summer till 2 days ago when this happened. any Ideas? :confused:

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starter spindle spins but does'nt engage Flywheel

It sounds like a bad ground connection or one of the battery cables is bad. I would check the ground connection at the motor first.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, PGilli, you didn't buy a bad starter, you replaced a good one.<br /><br />First, buy a manual.<br /><br />Disconnect and clean every connection in the high current circuit, with particular attention to the ground lead that bolts to the block. <br /><br />If the problem persists, measure the voltage at the starter hot lead when engaged, and at the battery with the starter engaged. If the starter voltage is more than 1 volt less than the battery voltage, you have a bad cable in the battery/starter circuit or a bad solenoid.<br /><br />Let us know what you find. :)

pgilli

Recruit

I haven't tried to Clean anything yet. I did measure 7 Volts when the starter was spinning. thats more than a volt less then he battery. I will try to find and bad ground. I did measure the continuity between the battery (ground) and case of the starter and it was .3 ohms. I guess I will look for bad connections elsewhere.

pgilli

Recruit

Ok, I jumpered the negitive post directly to the starter. This indeed proved there was a groung problem. I found the terminal connection and cleaned it and now all is well. Thank you very much. :)

Washman89

Recruit

I have the same issue as above, however I tested both battery and started sides had 12.5 volts on both under load. I have lubed the gear thinking that it was not moving freely. Seems to move freely I can move it by hand and it rotates up shaft freely. The gear will not stay ingaged, it jumps up then falls and stays down. Any thoughts? Mine is a 40 hp 6E9 L

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have the same issue as above, however I tested both battery and started sides had 12.5 volts on both under load. I have lubed the gear thinking that it was not moving freely. Seems to move freely I can move it by hand and it rotates up shaft freely. The gear will not stay ingaged, it jumps up then falls and stays down. Any thoughts? Mine is a 40 hp 6E9 L

You have a bad ground connection too.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Washman, hijacking an old thread is bad form. You need to start your own thread.

I agree with F_R. You have a bad ground. Look where the battery ground cable bolts to the engine block.

Washman89

Recruit

Sorry new to this, didnt know how to start my own.