Evinrude 140 V4 1990 intermittent rpm drop

Pannet

Seaman Apprentice
Sometimes during cruising at 4000-5000 rpm, the rpm suddenly dropped to 3000+ and sometime fluctuated between 3500-4000+ rpm. Bringing the throttle back to idle for a minutes and push up, the problem still exist. Shut off the key and restarted suddenly, it started easily and the problem was gone. Today I ran 3 hours continuously and this problem occurred 4 times. Everytime the problem disappeared after restarting.<br />I have checked fuel system --it's OK. I wonder why the problem just disappeared after restarting. I think this might be an electrical system problem. Any idea ?

baby j

Recruit
Re: Evinrude 140 V4 1990 intermittent rpm drop

i had the same problem and it was the stater,also changed the power pack.that was 3 years ago never had no more problem.and i use my boat at least every weekend.

dewley

Seaman Apprentice

I am no technician, had experienced same kind of problems in the past few months, was the power pack. The engine was a close cousin to what you have. As was pointed out, test do not guess, part ran $250 US. Good luck.

Pannet

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much baby j & dewly,<br /><br />I've just found out that after replacing the fuel filter, the problem seems to disappear. I wish my observation on restarting to correct the problem is wrong. Otherwise, I may have to spend more money changing the power pack / stater.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Pannet,<br /><br />If fuel filter was plugged, restarting may have helped as shutting it off would allow some dirt to move around and remove restriction. After running, the dirt would build up again.<br /><br />I carry an extra fuel filter just in case. I also have put a universal fuel filter right next to the gas tank to prevent any junk getting to the harder to change engine fuel filter.<br /><br />Chok dee!<br /><br />La kon,<br />Ken

dewley

Seaman Apprentice

Another item to check is a cracked fuel hose or connector fitting. Hose clamp loose, bottom line is fuel pump will pull air easier than pull fuel. A pin sized hole will cause poor fuel delivery, had this problem also which seems similiar to yours. Good luck