88hp '89 Evinrude

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Just got back from fishing, On the way in the engine appeared to be missing. While running I pushed the key in to engsge the choke, did not help. I also checked the bulb and it was hard. Then it 'cleared out' and ran fine. Did it again and cleared out again. Checked the plug wires when we got home and they seemed to be on ok. <br /><br />Also, When I first start the engine it seems like there is air in the peehole. It spurts air then water for a few seconds until we are under way then water comes out strong. Is this normal?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.......

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88hp '89 Evinrude

The air coming coming from the telltale is normal. It sounds like you are losing spark to a cylinder intermittently. If the plugs are old try some new ones (save the old ones for spares). Also check for clean tight connections on the coils and packs. Also look at where the coils ground to the block. Water entering a cylinder can also cause a stumble.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Went out today and had the same problem. Is it possible I don't have the right spark plugs? It's a '89 88hp 88spl evinrude. The plugs in it now are Champion L77JC4. I took them out when I got back today after having the same problem and found the following:<br />1) one was kinda loose, alittle more than hand tight<br />2) the plugs seem very wet<br />3) one plug did not seem as wet as the others<br />4) on one head the area where the base of the spark plugs meet the head seemed quite dirty compared to the other head. is it possible I wasn't getting a good seal?<br />I will check the grounding of the coils.<br />Also, please let me know if these are the correct plugs or should I get hotter ones.<br />What about this decarb I have read on hear. Could that cause a problem with the spark plugs?<br />And one more question: how can I tell if water is entering a cylinder?<br />Thanks for the help.

D

DJ

FreeBee,<br /><br />If water is entering a cyl. the plug will look very clean-like brand new.<br /><br />Check spark at each cyl. and a decarb. certainly won't hurt anything.

D

DJ

FreeBee,<br /><br />I basically is spraying a decarb. agent into the carbs while the engine is running and up to temp.<br /><br />Once the agent is sprayed in, you let the engine sit for a while and then go run it.<br /><br />Run on a search on the board using the words decarb. or Rowdy. Happy reading.

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

The plugs are correct. If one plug is not as wet I would suspect a fuel restriction in that carb. The high speed jet is probably plugged up.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Are there 4 carbs on this engine? Do I have to remove the carb to clean the high speed jet?

pennyanman

Seaman Apprentice

You have two twin throat carbs. I had my carbs off last week and it wasn't too bad a job.<br /><br />This is what I did:<br />Disconnect the control cables at the motor ends. Take off front silencer cover, disconnect the carb synchro link(it snaps into the back of each trottle cam), remove the two bolts holding the primer solenoid and tie it off out of the way, remove the four cap srews holding the intake silencer to the carbs, then use a long handled allen wrench (5/16 I think) to take out the socket head cap screws holding the carbs to the intake. The top screws come right out, the bottoms come out a bit till they hit a cast bump on the carb throat so just undo them evenly while pulling the carb forward. I had a lot of trouble with mine not powering up and found the high speed jets full of a green paste like some salt water had been sitting in the jets and corroded things. The gunk cleans right out with a small twist drill (BY HAND!!!) I felt like a dentist prepping a filling. Motor ran great after that.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Did you have to dismantle the carbs in order to do the cleaning? Are new gaskets required when re-installing the barbs? I replaced the water pump and thermostats on this engine, but playing with the carbs makes me a little nervous.......<br /><br />PS......I work in electronics on the island.

pennyanman

Seaman Apprentice

Yes. These carbs are really simple. The high speed jets are horizontally mounted behind the big screws (one on each side) at the bottom of the float bowls. The rebuild kits are cheap (like 15 bucks ea.) and they give you everything except the gaskets that go between the carb and the silencer base (you need 2). One thing I learned the hard way, turn the upper carb body over and measure the height of the float from the float chamber. I was in a hurry and put the new floats in without this critical measurement and had the joy of doing the job over because the motor ran rich as hell after the first installation!<br /><br />PS. Worked at Grumman for 12 years in Commercial Product Support (Structures and Systems),then floated around with a few small companies. Now in NYC working on Ice removal systems for aircraft and trains.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Thanks for the info......I have a manual and am going to read it over tonight. Sounds like a project worth looking into.<br /><br />P.S. I work for Comtech in Melville (run the test department)

FreeBeeTony

Captain

pennyanman, <br /><br />I looked at the carbs last night and read the manual about R/R and disassembly. There isn't anything in the manual about adjustments other than the float. Are there any other adjustments to be made? They do seem simple though. Think I am going to try it.....do the kits come with all the gaskets? I am going to try outboard barn in Babylon.

pennyanman

Seaman Apprentice

Floats are only adjustment. By the way do you have the factory shop manual? I'm having a tough time finding one and the Clymer's book is pretty rough. Outboard Barn should have the kits. If he doesn't, I've been finding all the parts I've needed at White Water Marine Service on Pine Neck Lane in East Patchogue.