76johnson115hp I think charging

pfloyd

Recruit
motor runs like bat out of hell, but as soon as it drains all the power out of the battery it shuts down. just had a power pack put on, carbs rebuilt all new gas tank, fuel lines, filter, etc,thout i was ready to ride and did until brand new battery drained and left me stranded in middle of lake, and drained it very fast. please help, the cheap way, fingers crossed.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 76johnson115hp I think charging

I would suggest checking charging circuit by checking voltage across battery terminals w/ motor running. You should get at least 14v. Ifless than 13v, check continuity in charging circuit. If OK, then rectifier probably bad.<br />Jim

pfloyd

Recruit
Re: 76johnson115hp I think charging

10-4 i can do the voltage testing across terminals but not a clue where to begin on checking continuity in charging circuit, im boat mechanic illiterate, any guidence through the process would be greatly appreciated, hell idont even know where the rectifier is much less what it looks like, but i am very interested in learning all about out board engines and have learned some things about them, im taking a class at cgtc on out boards this fall, you think i can learn something there or is it a waste of time? any way appreciate the advice. thanks