89 V4 Evinrude 90hp Thermo housing

jgrover92064

Recruit
What is the best way to break loose the two outer bolts on the Thermostat housing without breaking them off?<br />Also, my boat is a 78 Skeeter with a 89 motor, the motor (heads) have temp senors but the boat has no gauge, how hard is it to and how would I hook up a Temp gauge on my dash?<br />Thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 89 V4 Evinrude 90hp Thermo housing

Temp sensors on the head are for temp warning horn in your single lever control box. To install temp gages (I have them) buy a kit which has a seperate temp sening unit to the outside of the head which is attached to one of the head bolts and has a wire that you must run to the gage on the dash.<br /><br />The outside bolts for the thermostat housing can be reached by removing the rear plastic cover below the engine pan and accessing from below. I use a combo box and open wrench to do it. You may also get to them with a short socket with a universal and extension. The job is a large pain but can be done. I just finished my 1988 SeaDrives. A few choice cuss words help together with a dash of patience.