95 johnson 115 using alot of oil

dacheedah

Cadet
my 95 johnson 115 started using excessive oil going through it quickly , and putting out a light<br />blue smoke at speed but a lot more smoke at idle. What or how should i check it?<br /><br />thanks Kevin

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 95 johnson 115 using alot of oil

Sounds like VRO is bad, cap the oil intake line and pre-mix your fuel. Just remember to add oil when you add gas.

dacheedah

Cadet

I should have also mentioned that I unplugged one of my heat sensors at the back ( with the two leads) , because it was giving a false overheat reading and limiting the rpm's. The new one came in today and I'm going to put it in. Is it possible that this caused the over use of oil, being unplugged?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Kevin

D

DJ

dacdeedah,<br /><br />If it was running in SLOW mode-sure. I wouldn't codemn the oil injection just yet.

dacheedah

Cadet

Nope, I replaced the sensors and it smokes like a fiend. Is there any setting or adjustment... on the VRO?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If there is an air leak in the fuel system, the aerated gasoline has less volume than liquid gas and still receives the same amount of oil. That effectively riches the mixture causing more smoke. Sometimes you will hear the VRO pump "click" more rapidly when this happens.<br /><br />Hook up a piece of clear fuel line at the VRO fuel inlet and watch for bubbles when you run the motor at all speeds.

dacheedah

Cadet

My VRO was replaced and I also found that I had a leak in one of my carbs float bowl.<br />runs great now. Thanks all<br />Kevin