Electrical short, new parts, no power

Scarab302

Cadet
Hello, I have a strange one here. I have a pair of 94 Evinrude 200's. On one of the engines I had a major electrical short, it burned every wire under the power pack. I replaced every part, the rectifire/regulator, powerpack, stator, timer base and the wire harness. All brand new OMC original equipment, $1200.00 worth. The engine started right up and idles nice, but I cant get any power out of it, all I get is about 2000 rpms and it sounds like it is struggling. I am not a mechanic by trade but I have worked on a lot of engines and the way the engine is acting is evident that the timing is not advancing. I checked all the linkage and everything is moving freely. I even tried to advance the timing even more with no luck. I hooked a timing light up to the engine and that was proof the timing was not advancing. Heres the kicker, to test the theory that the powerpack I bought was defective I swaped them with the other engine, now both engines are doing the same thing. Am I missing something? is there some sort of safety that sets these powerpacks to act like this, if so how do you reset it? Could I have shorted out 2 powerpacks with all brand new electrical parts? Any help would be great.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Chris

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Electrical short, new parts, no power

Is the timer base (sensor assembly) physically rotating smoothly all the way to its rubber stop when the throttle lever is advanced? If not, melted insulation could have jammed in the plastic bearing ring.<br /><br />If the motor runs smooth up to about 2000-2500, then runs rough and won't go any higher, the SLOW circuit may be kicked in. That could be anything from a shorted temp switch, grounded tan wires, bad pack, or a diode in the wiring harness. If you give it a quick "blip" in neutral, it should rev above the problem rpm. If not, it is definately a SLOW circuit problem.

Scarab302

Cadet

Timer base is rotating freely all the way to the rubber stop. I tried the temp sensor test by un plugging them, still nothing. how do you get them out of low speed mode? Do they need some sort of diagnostic test? I tried running the boat today and I can get the motors up to 3800 rpms, slowly but surely, the boat plaines out but nothing like what it did 4 days ago. Also, could I have a fuel problem? I changed the seperators and it seemed to help a little. But when I am done running the boat and I tilt the engines up it seems like a lot of un burned fuel draines out.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Chris

Scarab302

Cadet

SeaHorse, what do you mean by "a quick blip in neutral"?<br /><br />Chris

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The blip is neutral is a quick revving of the motr to see if it would go higher than 2500 rpm meaning that the SLOW system was not activated.<br /><br />Now that you are getting 3800, that is not the problem. Remove the air box cover and see if all the throttle plates open up the same. Sometimes one can come loose and stay closed. When running look down the carb throats and see if each has about the same "flow" of fuel out of the main tube. Don't run the motor long with the carb cover off.<br /><br />Do you think that the spark plug wires are reversed or the powerpack wires are on the wrong coils? What is the compression in each cylinder?

Scarab302

Cadet

In neutral it will rev very high, I gave them a quick burst and one will reach 6000 and the other will reach 5200. I did remove the air box to check the plates and they do all open evenly. I am positive that all the coil wires are in the right place. As far as the compression goes I can't see that being a problem because this all happened from one minute to the next. It all started with the electrical short on one engine, I replaced all the componants and the engine ran but with no top end power. Then I decided to to a test and swap the power packs from one motor to the next and then the other motor started acting the same way. Could it be that all of a sudden I have a fuel problem at the same time this is all happening? Or could I have damaged two good power packs on an engine with a completely new electrical system?

Scarab302

Cadet

And also what about the un burned fuel that drains out of the exaust of engines when I tilt the engines up. It sounds to me like a timing advance problem, but why? And why all of a sudden on the second motor?<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.<br /><br />Chris