Dhadley, Schematic,... a word please!

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just acquired a 94 evinrude 88 spl. Compression 130 - 135. First question... is the compression ok? Ran it on the muffs, sounded ok. Checked the gauges and it appeared that the amp meter was showing battery voltage. I wouldn't get rpm up much above idle on the muffs and I don't know if more rpm would help. Checked my new clymers on rectifier replacement and I got confused. Seems like the Rectifier/Regulator is located behind the wiring buss but the book talks about one under the flywheel. Pictures showed something different from what I see on mine. Can you clarify what I'm sposed to be seeing?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dhadley, Schematic,... a word please!

I believe the 20" V4 cross flows (long shaft) model has a 6 amp stator and uses the small round rectifier on the side of the block. The 25" (extra long) model uses a water cooled rectifier / regulator and a 3/9 amp stator. If I remember correctly the 88's were all 20" models.<br /><br />The compression sounds great!<br /><br />Good luck!

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks! They failed to make the distinction in the book! The tach works ok...so is that an indication that the rectifier is good? The battery is fully charged so I don't expect to see a lot of charging going on anyway! BTW, I decarboned this afternoon and look forward to getting wet tomorrow. Hope it don't sink, LOL!

petryshyn

Commander

Pay close attention to the voltmeter when out on the water at wide open throttle. The voltage should climb over 13 volts after a few minutes of operation.....Tach is not a complete indicator of the charging systems integrity.

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply! Got wet this afternoon. Voltage meter went up to ~15 at wot but then the tach fell off to around half rpm or a little better. Got it up to ~5,000 then it dropped to around 3,000. No change in motor, just in the tach reading. Also got a clicking sound like a spark jumping but it might be something else. Water pressure good, 5 to 15 psi. Overall, the motor sounded tight and wound out ok. Indicated speed 38 or so. 18 ft Alumacraft mod V, about 6deg deadrise. Likes to porpoise with very little trim but it was loaded rear heavy with full tank, two batteries, wife and kid. Might put a fin on it to get the back end up some. Ya'll have any suggestions on the tach fluctuation?