1995 Evinrude 40 horse Tiller

RickJ

Cadet
Am told my engine has good compression in one cyl(120) and bad compression (90) in the other. No visual inspectiom was done. This cost me $125. Would this clearly suggest one cylinsd is bad and needs repair/replaced? Is ther any other possible cause? Is a visual inspection necessary<br />to confirm. Is $125 reasonable for this work?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />RickJ

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 Evinrude 40 horse Tiller

Hey Rickj,<br />Wow! $125 for a compression check on a two cylinder engine? Hope he did more than just that. Why did you take the motor in? What were the symptoms? Did he offer any diagnosis?<br />Low compression in one of two cylinders could also be caused by a blown head gasket.....the gasket doesn't always blow between the cylinders. It could also be caused by sticking rings in one cylinder. Try decarbing the engine. <br />Good Luck,<br />Backlash

RickJ

Cadet

Backlash, the symptoms were the fact that the engine would die and anything daster than 25 % throttle and would not idle.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rickj

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey RickJ,<br />I'd get some Seafoam and follow the directions to decarbon the motor.....then check the compression again. If it's still low in the one cylinder, I'd pull the head & check the gasket. Good Luck.<br />Backlash