Baring is gone on upper engine mount

oarfish

Cadet
I have a 1988 Johnson 120Hp. It is loose and knocks around when slow trolling and even wants to go out of shift giving the rattleing sound while slow trolling. When I tap on the trottle it goes away but by then I am at 4M/H and thats too fast. They told me that I have to pull the power head to get to the upper bearing. Taking out the powerhead is a lots of work? Is it managable for a guy who has fair amount of shop experience and tools?(that's me),or should I leave it to the professionals? Please help with some advice because I spent too much money and time on this 1988 Mako 17,(It has been over 11,000.00. and still needs work, like re wireing etc., but I love the boat and want to make it right. Thanks again...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Baring is gone on upper engine mount

#1 - get a manual.<br /><br />Yes the p/h has to come off to get to the upper motor mount. There is no bearing.<br /><br />Good luck!

oarfish

Cadet

I have the Clymer manual. I find it not very user friendly though. There is no exploded view of the motor and the engine mount does not show anywhere in the book as far as I can see. Is it a fairly straight forward prosess, to take the power head off? I think I will tow the boat to the shop tomorrow(70 miles away the closest Johnson guy). It could be impossible to remove some the upper engine mount bolts since this was a saltwater motor. So there is no baring, hmmm...

oarfish

Cadet

I took the P/H off this mornig and it was a piece of cake. I had the lower unit rebuilt also replaced the trim motor last year. The power head and lower unit and trim assembly are in good condition. Right now I need to find the middle section only of the 1988 Johnson 120hp. Any good source of used motorparts out there?