1979 85 johnson with omc control............

bluereel

Recruit
Hello everyone,<br /><br /> Have been reading the post here for a few weeks and this site is awesome! :cool: <br /> Just bought a used rig a couple of weeks ago and repaired a spot in the deck after reading all the post about it....lots of great info..but thats another story...... ;) <br /> Here's the deal.......motor ran great all day,at the dock had to wait and idle for about 20mins ,the motor started stalling,start/stop etc<br />then I noticed the kill switch was off ,put it back on and it started .........then died.Could it gotten flooded or fouled the plugs?When I got home I hooked up the muffs and it started then died :mad: Didn't start after about 4 tries ,I didn't want to push it.When it did start the one time I had water from the telltail.<br /><br /> Thanks <br /> bluereel<br /><br /> p.s. what's the thumbscrew under the key for?Is 92 octane too much?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1979 85 johnson with omc control............

How old are the plugs? The rig is new to you??? Did you use the right pre-mix 50:1? Did you shake the tank and mix it up real good? Well, you might have debris in the fuel tanks, lines, carbs, clogged idle circuit. The list goes on. Check your plugs, clean or replace as needed (Use the right Champion plug).<br /><br />Check the kill switch contacts for corrosion too.<br /><br />The little twist knob is for throttle handle friction. You can make it harder or easier to push down. If it works just don't adjust it.<br /><br />92 octane is too high. This will lead to early carboning of the engine. The motor was designed to run on regular gas. Your just wasting $$$ with high octane...<br /><br />Bob

bluereel

Recruit
Re: 1979 85 johnson with omc control............

Bob_VT<br /><br /> Thanks for the info.Purchased some champion plugs after checking the old ones,they were nkg.<br />When I pulled one it was still wet with fuel.I think...LOL......that when I had to idle so long waiting for my turn at the ramp it might have fouled the plugs,especially when I was trying to crank it with the kill switch off.....it was getting all that gas.etc.Mixed 50:1 with lubrimatic oil.and was using 92 octane ,I'll change that before going back out.Also got some johnson oil ......is there a real difference?So far I have made three trips out with this motor and it seemed to ber fine untill......now I'll see how it does this weekend.<br /><br /> Thanks for you're help! :cool: <br /><br /> bluereel