johnson sailmaster 9.9 oil in water discharge

jrt1122

Recruit
i have a 1990 johnson sailmaster 9.9. i was motoring for several hours one day then ran out of gas. i poured 2 cycle oil using a 50:1 ratio into a new tank of gas but did not mix the oil well. i started it up and eventually noticed excessive smoke after shifting from forward to reverse numerous times while manuevering in port . i tilted the engine up and noticed oil dripping from the water discharge between the propeller and anti-suction plate below the waterline on the port side. i ran it 2 days later after stirring the gas/oil in the tank thoroughly and noticed the same problem. is the oil leak due to using a 50:1 gas/oil ratio opposed to the recommended 100:1 (yes the manual actually recommends this ratio) or did a gasket fail in the lower unit causing lower gear oil to mix with cooling water or is it something else?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: johnson sailmaster 9.9 oil in water discharge

I run my 1990 Evinrude Yachtwin (9.9) on 50:1, and it's pretty clean. Are you sure your manual recommends 100:1 -- can't quite believe that.<br /><br />I'm not sure what water outlet you are describing. The tell-tale is on the underside at the rear of the engine. If you are getting something out of there, it may be something in the water that is being drawn in by the waterpump. It's possible there was a lot of unburnt fuel and exhaust that was sucked up into the water tube. The tell-tale on that model emits water drawn up by the impeller before it is circulated through the head.

smalloutboardsarecool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: johnson sailmaster 9.9 oil in water discharge

that the exust, that little openig underthe clavation plate that disposes the exhust and water, mine always does that, don't worry about it!