Throttle Cable Adjustmetn (Johnson 150)

RJON

Recruit
I rebuilt the carbs on my Johnson 150, finally figured out how to get the linkage rod back in (they poke into the plastic retaining clips) and got it started up & sounding great.<br /><br />Now I have the problem that the remote lever by the helm will not fully open the carbs. I can open them completely if I pull the cable manually back by the motor but only about 1/3 open by the remote stick.<br /><br />Do I need to make an adjustment? I think I've turned just about everything Clymers shows can be turned. Do I need a new cable? How to know for sure? Do I need a new remote box at the helm? How to be sure of that? Any tricks, suggestions, tips or advice will be welcome.<br /><br />Thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Throttle Cable Adjustmetn (Johnson 150)

You have to be careful that you have the right page in the manual. disconnect the throttle cable, do the link and sync. Start engine in water, adjust idle, control handle in neutral adjust cable until cable end will slip over stud on linkage, work throttle a few times, fine adjust cable until throttle returns to throttle stop lightly, the same spot each time. When the cable is maladjusted the throttle will not return to same place each time, and makes for crazy idle. If you turned all of the screws, you need to check max timing at 5000 rpm loaded engine.