1987 Evinrude 200hp vro

maryjo

Recruit
Hi fellows, my ex bought me a boat before we split and it has a problem when running. I take it out and started cold in the water and no problem. I run it at very low speed and no problem. I give it gas and it cuts off and sometimes when it is hot it has trouble starting.<br />I trailered this boat to a mechanic an he replaced the gas primer for $230 and said that was the problem but it is still happening. One of my friends said he couldn't get a spark when he tried to start it the other day but the next day I started it with no problem right off my trailer.<br /><br />Can someone help? My mechanic is going to keep charging me for everything and by the time I am done I could have bought a new motor.<br /><br />Thanks, Maryjo

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 Evinrude 200hp vro

When you say gas primer, do you mean fuel pump, if fuel pump did he install a new VRO pump?

maryjo

Recruit

No, he said their was a leak on the primer bulb and that is what he replaced. It seems to have worked fine for a week.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Not seeing the service order Im not sure, but overpriced just for a primer bulb. I would start with compression test, spark test, fuel pressure test.If this all checks ok remove carbs and clean.