2002 Optimax Duals Spacing

valiant500hp

Recruit
I was wondering if anyone would know who to contact about the minimum spacing of 2002 200hp Optimax motors on the back of an aluminum sled. We are having problems with the motor cavitating all the time when you try to accelerate. The motors are in the water the correct depth and they rev the correct RPM at top speed. It makes no sense to us. The boat is a 2002 24' Motion Marine. There is plenty of weight in the back of the boat with those two hogs on the back. We can't figure out why it will do this so we thought we'd post the problem and see if you intelligent people could help. We have ruled out just about everything else except that maybe the motors were mounted too close together. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2002 Optimax Duals Spacing

You did'nt state that you are running counter rotators.With this h.p. you need to be doing so.Toe settings need to adjusted and can only be determined on the water.Those two wakes should come together some 60 to 80 feet behind the boat.Sometimes the conventional logic of counter on port needs to get reversed.Start with taking a hard look at the toe .

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What props are you running? What else is on the transom and how close to the motors?<br /><br />You mentioned mounting height but never said what is is.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

What is the current spacing? ....and all the other questions from other posters......

valiant500hp

Recruit

The boat has raptor props on it. I believe they are made by Michigan. We were going to Merc props. They are counter rotators. There is a 9.9 merc also on the transom as well but it is just a trolling motor. The motors depth in the water was checked with the factory specs and is OK. I don't have the minimum spacing numbers with me, but I could check. It is really an odd problem. It is a 24' aluminum sled with a hardtop and it has an offshore "Outbracket" that looks kinda like a swim platform that has the motors mounted to it. We have tied different things and came to the conclusion that the manufacurer (custom shop) mounted them too close. He said if he trims one up though and hammers on it, the one will still cavitate. I am guessing that the props are all wrong. It is not my boat so i don't have all the specific details, but I can get more if you guys need it. Thanks for all the help. :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like youve figured out the props are the problem. I would agree. Check the toe as suggested when you get better props.<br /><br />Good luck!