Stuck Manual Tilt

mpiorko

Cadet
I have a 1990 40hp Johnson outboard with manual tilt (no power trim/tilt). Tried to use it for the first time this year, and it won't tilt up. I left it in the down position all winter, and now when I move the lever to lift it it won't unlock. The lever moves freely, and it appears that the cable it's attached to is moving, but when I try to lift the engine, it feels like I still have it in the lock position. Also, there's a torx screw at the bottom of the tilt assist cylinder. Is that the release screw? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

whitewolf

Recruit
Re: Stuck Manual Tilt

the shaft that runs to the release is probably bent up and it is not engaging or theplastic bushing maybe broke

fortunare

Recruit

myke,<br />how did you solve your problem of the manual tilt locked down on a 40 hp? I had to drill out the allen set screw because the relief valve was stuck. Now I;m trying to decide between replacing the whole hydraulic unit for $100 + labor or replacing it with a power trim and tilt unit which I'm looking for. My motor sits in a recess in the transom so it will probably have to come off in either case and labor will be substantial. Anyone with a power unit that would fit a 1993, contact fortunare@comcast.net

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If it has the Manual Assist Cylinder, I would scrap it and get a CMC Tilt And Trim unit. Those replacement Cylinders are NOT cheap. Expect to spens 200.00-300.00 or so to get it fixed, when for a little more, you can have T&T. Check this out:<br /><br /> web page<br /><br />I think the PT-35 would work, even though you have a 40 HP..<br /><br />Or, you could just do away with the shock and get one of these to tilt it up easily:<br /><br /> web page