Evinrude 88hp SPL help/advice

mowery9192

Recruit
Hello all -<br />I have an opportunity to purchase a small fishing boat which, until two days ago, had a well-running 88hp SPL. Unfortunately, the water pump went out while heading in, and the resulting over-heating seems to have caused some extensive damage to the engine. The engine is very difficult to turn-over, and of course, will not run. Can anyone out there provide me with some guidance on: (1) what type of damage I should expect to find?; and (2) is it something a mechanically able and willing person with minor ourboard experience should attempt to repair?<br /><br />Thanks for your help!

D

DJ

Re: Evinrude 88hp SPL help/advice

Mowery,<br /><br />The 88 is a good engine. It is one and the same as the 90-sans oil injection. The engine is not particularly complicated. However, I would not attempt anything without the OEM service manual.<br /><br />If you have to completely overhaul this engine, ou can expect to pay somewhere around $200.00 per cylinder-that's if you supply the labor.<br /><br />In its current state, I would still negotiate the deal but figure the engine is worth next to nothing.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: Evinrude 88hp SPL help/advice

I had a similar problem with my '89 88hp spl.<br />It overheated and locked up. After it cooled down I was able to start it and it ran ok. (thank god!). I replaced the water pump and thermostats and now it runs great! You say it won't run....is the battery ok? How long was it running hot? Did you hear the warning horn? I'm sure you will get plenty of help from this board...I did. Just give as much info as possible.<br /><br />Good luck