evinrude 6hp idle mixture settings

kingi

Cadet
I have a 1979 6hp Evinrude. Can anyone please tell me how to set the idle mixture screw on the front of the motor.Thanks

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: evinrude 6hp idle mixture settings

If its like my 73 6hp, just adjust it for the smoothest idle. I had to remove the knob and use a screwdriver to adjust since the knob would only turn so far. Finally gave up cause it didnt make a darn bit of difference.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Kingi..... (Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable N/V)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

kingi

Cadet

Thanks guys for the quick response,I have just bought the motor & have stripped & cleaned the carb so now I can set it & forget it.<br />cheers Kingi :) :)