Electrical Problem

fatcat

Recruit
On my Johnson 175 Oceanpro. Engine shuts off suddenly at different rpms and I may have narrowed it down to low voltage. I replaced the battery a week or so ago and the problem went away until Saturday morning. Was using running lights early and motor shut off again. Wouldn't fire at all. Fished awhile and turned lights off when it was light enough. After a while tried motor. It started right up and ran with no problems. Monitored voltage when I figured out the light thing (motor has cut off when using running lights many times). The voltage is 13.9 running at 3500 rpm. With lights it drops to 12.4. <br />Finally the question:<br />Should I just change the voltage regulator or is there a way to check it. My running lights go dim when I key the radio too.<br />thanks for any suggestions<br />fc

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Electrical Problem

Sounds like an output problem. This can be caused by many things. Check the easy things first. (connectors and grounds)Check the rec/reg as per manual and also check the charging stator as well.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Schematic has it right, but let me add this...I have twin 175 HP Evinrude Ocean Pros, 1996. I had a mysterious shut down at different rpm's at various times on the the starboard motor. Turned out to be the power pack after chasing fuel problems for a month. If you hadn't said you we're having voltage problems, I would have been looking at the power pack. About $235.00 and you can do yourself. Just a thought...what do you think Schematic? :cool:

angus63

Captain

My '95 175hp evnrd was intermittent. Chased fuel and ohm tested all elec with nothing bad. Gave up and brought to OMC TECH who did analysis and found erratic send signal from one side of the powerpack. Says its fairly common and tough to find.$375 for pack,sensor,analysis and labor. Better than guessing (elect. parts not returnable) and weeks of hair pulling for me (pack and sensor were $240 alone @ discount).<br />Good luck!!