RPM & power low

blue.monkey

Seaman Apprentice
I put a previous post on this evening questioning prop size to power loss in not getting over 3500 rpm. I have since gone down to the dock to look at it. I started it and noticed Gas/oil mix coming back out of the black plastic carb cover on the 1989 Evinrude 150. Could the jets or floats or something be stuck. It starts well either cold or warm, but power is very weak and it takes a long time to get to its maximum of 3500 rpm. Are there bowls I can drop to Clean them? And should I run cleaner in the gas for a while?<br />Thanks,<br />KE

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: RPM & power low

Running an outboard motor that dosen't achieve full RPM leads to an early death. if the carbs main jets are plugged and not allowing enough fuel at higher rpms then you are also starving the engine of oil as well as fuel. better fix it befor you learn the expensive way

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Monkey.<br /><br />PLEASE PLEASE do NOT start multiple threads on one problem.<br /><br />Get all the info together in ONE place. Then ask your questions.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I left a post on the other thread and I agree stick with one and give all info you have. I think you motor is too small for that boat and if you use it need a prop with much less pitch. To check your motor Start with a compression check and wright down the numbers. Then I would start it and pull one spark plug wire off at a time and make sure each has about the same affect. If find one that has no affect then I would work on that. Like I said before I think motor is a little small and for a 15 inch dia 17 is too high a pitch. Good luck.