Johnson Super Seahorse 35

BamaBuckshot

Cadet
I just recently bought a boat and motor. The motor is a Johnson SuperSeahorse 35 model# RSDL20 serial #1843949. The local marine shop said it was a '62 model, but when i was looking for a manual, it was a '58 model. I would like to know the mixing ratio for this engine.And if someone could tell more about the boat.It is An Ouachita model# 16j serial#xmra0310m73d....thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson Super Seahorse 35

Howdy Buckshot.<br /><br />Your engine is indeed a 1958, 35hp long (20") shaft.<br /><br />Johnson recommended a 24:1 ratio for that engine, but many people are running them on 32:1. I recommend that you stick with the factory recommendation. 24:1 is 1 qt. of TC-W3 rated outboard oil to 6 gallons of 87 octane unleaded, alcohol free gasoline.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

BamaBuckshot

Cadet

thanks JB..that was very helpful..i had one more thing i forgot to add...where does the cooling water that goes into the engine come out....is it below the water level?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Nice motor, 'Bama. If the impeller is doing it's job and the water passages are clear, you will get a strong spray of water from the exhaust port on the rear of the leg -- should see a lot of water. The rest of the water will exit through the exhaust port under the ventilation plate (under water).

BamaBuckshot

Cadet

Thanks for the reply oldboat1...when you say exhaust port are you talking about the engine exhaust? If you are there is no water at all comming out there.I had the lower half in a barrel of water to check every thing.I didn't see any water ,thats why i was wandering if the exiting water should be visible. Also i could not get a pair of "ears" on because of a lips that runs right next to the pick up screen.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Yes, hard to use muffs on that motor. The port on the back of the leg exhausts both gases and water. If you are getting no water, you definitely need to make a correction. If you just picked up the motor, and don't know much about its history, it's wise to just drop the lower unit and replace the impeller. It's a pretty easy job. Parts (e.g., a replacement impeller) are available at NAPA or through a dealer parts shop. Get back online if you have questions (should get a repair and/or parts manual, by the way). <br /><br />If the motor has sat for a while, don't rule out obstructions somewhere in the water circulation or exhaust system (wasp or mouse nests a favorite).

BamaBuckshot

Cadet

oldboat1,<br /><br /> Thanks again. I'm waiting for my manual to arrive that I ordered. So until it does I'm not gonna tinker with my new "toy". But when I do dig into it, I'll let you know how things are going.

G DANE

Commander

Hi Bama-<br /><br />When you run that old types in a barrel - make sure the waterpump is covered, not only the lower unit. The old water pumps cant suck up water - i made that mistake too. However if impeller is old, you will have to change it anyway, it will break once it is used again, rubber gets stiff over time.