1991 200 Evinrude VRO Help Please

dukeOfluke

Recruit
My 91 200 Evinrude is idleing high and I cant seem to get it to relax. It was fine during a recent run but when I put the motor in neutral I notice it was running higher then normal. I tryed to adjust using the screw but it would not settle down. Is something stuck causing it to idle high? any help appreciated.<br />Thanks,<br />Duke

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 200 Evinrude VRO Help Please

Which screw did you turn? Yes something could be holding one (or more) of the butterflys open. Or the timer base could be stuck. Get the manual and follow the sync and link steps EXACTLY. Don't forget there is a connector between the middle and bottom butterfly shaft on each side. <br /><br />Good luck!

dukeOfluke

Recruit

There appears to be a low idle screw on the top of the linkage but it seemed to be properly adjusted that was the screw I was talking about. I went over and started it up last night and she was still high but then I started shaking any linkage I could reach and all of a sudden she came back down. I also noticed that she was really smoking bad when she was high. I will get the manual this week and do a full sync per you last post. Thanks,<br />Duke

Greg22

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same sort of thing going on with my 1990 Johnson GT150 VRO. Would smoke a lot and idle higher than normal. Mine would lose power on the water when the engine was cold and after about 3-5 min's it would stop. I changed all the plugs and it seemed to fix the problem. I am planning to run it on the water tomorrow.