1969 85hp Johnson ignition

mellocj

Seaman
I have this engine hoisted up, I want to verify that I can get it to run before trying to put it on the boat.<br /><br />I have connected +12v from the battery to the starter solenoid (Battery post) and neutral shift solenoid, and I also wired a switch +12v to the start terminal on the solenoid, I can use this switch and crank the motor over fine with the starter motor.<br /><br />The problem is ignition. I don't have a spark. I ran +12v to the purple wire on the amplifier assembly (power pack?). The blue wire from the amplifier assembly goes to the blue wire on the coil. The gray wire from the amplifier assembly is not connected to anything, as shown in my Seloc wiring diagram. The black with white tracer goes to the points.<br /><br />On outboardparts.com , I found a troubleshooting page.. It was sort of hard to follow, but I think it says if I connect the black w/ white tracer from amlifier assembly to ground, I should get a spark from the coil? I tried that, and no spark from the coil wire to the engine block. Does this mean for sure that my amplifier assembly is bad? All of the other wiring I have left intact. What other wires do I need to check, or connect to +12v?<br /><br />this outboard newbie needs help! thanks<br /><br />Mark

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 1969 85hp Johnson ignition

sounds like you have it wired right. Before going any further, I'd clean the points by dragging crokus cloth between them......

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the spark comes when you break the ground on the black wire w/white tracer the amp pack should always be changed with a new coil and make sure your bat voltage stays below 16 volt a motor batery com.that is prone to over charging will not let a ampl. last long

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Mell... This is assuming that the points are set properly (.010), and no broken or shorted wires exist. In short, everything is as it should be.<br /><br />Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point.<br /><br />Remove the spark plugs. Make sure you have 12v going to the pack (purple wire). Connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the positive wire from that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire).<br /><br />Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack is faulty.<br /><br />Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure. Good Luck.

mellocj

Seaman

I took the flywheel and distributor cap off. The points looked to be clean, except for the wick piece which is kind of oily. I wiped off what residue I could.<br /><br />omc frank, I didn't get a spark when I held the black w/ white tracer wire to the ground and took it off. I then hooked up my multimeter. the Grey wire from the amplifier assembly shows +12v and the Blue wire shows that it is grounded, when the black with white tracer wire is grounded and not grounded,.. is this a bad amplifier assembly?<br /><br />thanks again

mellocj

Seaman

Joe- I verified I have +12V to the power pack purple wire. I did the lightbulb test and didn't get any glowing. To verify my points were pulsing, I connected a +12v wire to the light bulb, and the other light bulb wire to the points wire coming from the points. Then, when the engine cranked, the light pulsed like a strobe light! So, that should tell me that my points are at least doing something, right? <br /><br />And that the powerpack is most likely dead? (I did have the points wire connected to the powerpack when I was testing it..)<br /><br />thanks<br />Mark

alcan

Commander

Hi melocj<br />If you would like a copy of the procedures that Joe and frank describe post your email address and I will try and send you a copy with schematic.

mellocj

Seaman

Thanks Alcan for sending me the diagnostic scans.. <br /><br />I am certain that the points wire alternates between being grounded and not grounded as it should. The wire to coil from amplifier assembly doesn't give me any voltage, so my amplifier assembly is broken.<br /><br />Has anyone tried or know of using an automotive coil in place of the amplifier assembly and coil? .. any info would be great, thanks<br /><br />Mark

alcan

Commander

Hi Mell<br />Yes, there are some intresting ways around this ampifier problem. Schematic has writen volumes on the subject as well some of the other guys. I have never tried any of these methods myself. With the cost of those boxes being what it is, you can bet your boots I'm thinking about it. To bone up on this subject do a search on this board. Not to change the subject, but did you throw in the towel with 75hp?