Evinrude questions(2)

redsalmo

Recruit
New guy hear.<br /><br />Just bought a used evinrude 9.9 hp (M# 10RCCD, SN R 711161) and I can't seem to find the year. Went to OMC.com and evinrude.com but can't seem to find the guide. Can anyone help me?<br /><br />Also...... I took the powerhead off to tighten some bolts around the swivel. The gasket was toast (only took me 2 hr to remove what was left). My buddy seems to think that his gasket goop will work fine but I'm not sure. <br /><br />Should I trust the goop, or go for the real thing. If the latter, what's a good site to order the gaskets.<br /><br />I may run into the same problem with the carborator (needs to be cleaned out).<br /><br />I'm new at this so any help is much appreciated.<br />Thanks, <br /><br />Dan

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude questions(2)

Dont know year of your motor,Im sure someone will post. If your working on your motor you should have a repair manual.Saves time,agravation,<br />frustration and money.It will get you back on the<br />water quicker.If you had a manual you would probably already know what gasket you needed.<br /> Youve probably heard that old saying the person <br />who works on a motor without a manual has a fool for a mechanic. Search with google Use all the combos of words evinrude/parts etc. youll find something Good luck, spike

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

all omc product made after 1979 uses the Introduces code for the year produced the second and third letter from last of the model # the i being the 1 n=2 t=3 and so on til s=0 so your motor is a 1988

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yo Spike,<br />Look at the top of this page and click on "Manuals". You'll need one for sure.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

alcan

Commander

Hi Red<br />If gasket goop alone would work rite they would have made it that way to begin with. You will find out one way or another that it's allways cheeper to do things right.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ditto what alcan said.<br />Gasket goop should only be used to hold gaskets in place during assembly. Sure I have used it as a substitute, then a month later resealed it again.