Primer systems on old (pre-80s) outboards

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class
The info that I get from this site is amazing,and I did a search on the subject, but still have some questions on primer systems. Is it injecting a fuel-oil(50-1)into the throat of the carb.? What about at low-water landings that you have to keep your motor tilted when you start it. Doesn't the natural gravity make the injected fuel mix run back out of the carbs? From what Iv'e seen you run the primer for like 8 seconds before you crank the engine over. Mine is a 76 115 Johnson that is cold-blooded, like a lot of 2-strokes. I know I haven't done some checks like compression yet or spark strength(7/16"), but if I could eleminate long cranking times at the launch by giving it extra fuel at the cold start, I would be happy.Any info from you guys and gals is always appreicated like gold, to me! Chime in, folks :) P.D.S.

ob

Admiral
Re: Primer systems on old (pre-80s) outboards

If your having cold start problems you are correct .there are a number of reasons like compression and such ,however if your motor seems to operate strongly once fired off I would rule out that as a possibility of cold start condition.yes the primer injects 50:1 mix into intake chamber if operating properly.You'll have to determine if it in fact is operating by disconecting output on primer and testing for flow.also,insure there are no fuel or air leaks on motor. Inlet to carbs, carb base gakets . Does primer bulb pump up easily and remain firm.Also need to determine there are no gummy deposits in fuel ports on carbs.

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

ob, thanks for your quick reply, but what I was kinda wondering about was installing a fuel injection system to aid in the starting of a old outboard. I know it should start good by the choke system, but later engines put in enhancer systems like throwing raw fuel into the throats of the carbs(kinda like a car throws exrta fuel to make it jump from a dead stop, only different) Sorry, mixing apples and oranges. My real question is could I put a fuel adder on to my old boat(kind of like using a spray bottle with mixed fuel(oil and gas) on my old workhorse.Thanks.P.D.S.

ob

Admiral

I believe JB mentioned that an earlier model motor can be fairly easily fitted with one.Don't know any details though.whether any drilling is required or not.