I have to use starting fluid all the time???

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I changed my cables on my starter and it no longer cranks slow. Now, my next problem is there seems like there no combustion. I can get it started if I use starting fuid though. Most of the time it cuts off two or three times right away but eventually I get it started by letting it idle fast for a minute or two when I get it turned over. After I get is going good and let it run for like 15 minutes, I can shut it off and started again right away, but if I drift for about 45 minutes or so, I have to do it all again (starting fluid and all.) Any suggestions???

hydrasports

Seaman
Re: I have to use starting fluid all the time???

What kind of motor are you talking about ? more info !! DO NOT ! use starting fluid on outboard motors,it has been covered extensively on here,and I seen a motor lock up for that exact reason.

Better post a model and year for better info. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem maybe an air leak in the fuel system somewhere,do some searches while your waiting for info. :)

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1973 Johnson 85HP outboard

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was mentioned not to use starting fluid; One can assume, then, that the upper cylinder lubricant that is included in the starting fluid (ethyl ether) is not sufficient for the short period of time the motor would be running off of it? I was just wondering, because I read somewhere else that you can do it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

BigHe.<br /><br />Do NOT use starting fluid unless it is made specifically for outboard engines. The "why" has been explained here many times.<br /><br />If you must assist your carbs in supplying fuel, use a spray or squirt bottle of fuel mix.<br /><br />Your problem is most likely that your choke either isn't working or you aren't using it.

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is pre-mix simply the 50:1 fuel in my tank? Is that better than wd-40 new or old formula?

D

DJ

Big HE,<br /><br />Just use some of the fuel out of your tank. Disconnect the fuel plug (engine end) and squirt some, using the primer bulb, into the squirt bottle.

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool, thanx...I wasreading through some of the older posts and it seems like there are some problems with the squirt bottles holding up. Are there any specific bottles you've had luck with for a descent amount of storage time.

marinetech43

Cadet

Almost sounds like you have an engine that doesn't have enough vacuum to suck the fuel from the carbs while cranking. Do you have alot of hours on your engine? Fuel pump works off of crankcase pulses. These pulses make the fuel pump work. If the pulses aren't strong enough, i.e., a worn out engine, they won't allow the fuel pump to push fuel to the carb. You also may not have enough suction through the venturis to suck the fuel from the bowl of the carbs. Also check your stator voltage at cranking speed. It may be too low.

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WHOA!Marine, I'ma a bit of a beginner! I don't know what you're talking about. I'd like to. I do have a lot of hours on it. Its used and I've put hours on it since I bought. If I am having the problems you're talking about, is my engine shot?

D

DJ

Big HE,<br /><br />Invest $20.00 in a compression tester. That will tell the story.<br /><br />Check the compression with the ignition disabled and the throttle wide open.

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a comp tester and all four cylinders test within specs.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you pump the bulb up tight just before you start it? What is your compression? Have you tried the choke, and if so are the choke plates closing all the way? The choke plates are the first butterflies you see on the carbs. My bet is your choke is not working. After the motor cools you will need additional fuel to get it started.

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have four black rubber plugs on the transom side of the intake. One keeps falling out. Is that a problem. I can't remember the compression. I think it was 110-120 for all four if I'm not mistaken.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hold the choke switch until it starts(pops). It will stall. Now this time no choke and start. Don't turn up the idle too high, just off idle. when it starts it will start to stall.. as it does this hit the choke switch for 1 second and release. If it tries to stall again, repeat prodcess until it stays running.