2 cycle oil

dotr8s

Recruit
Does it matter what brand or type of 2 cycle oil I use in my 50 hp Johnson? I stopped at a repair shop and the guy said that Johnson's have needle bearing and therefore should have a special oil like the OMC brand. Fine, but the oil is three bucks a quart where others are six bucks a gallon.

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 cycle oil

Go to page 18 on this forum ,all you ever want to know about 2 stroke oil

dotr8s

Recruit

Thanks,Chumbucket.............<br />After reading page 18,<br />my brain is now completly fried.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

The modern day snake oil! Look out for yourself, shop by price and make sure it has the certification that your engine requires.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

The only lubrication the motor gets is from the oil in the fuel...I would and do use the TWC3 from Johnson(Bombadier). It also burns cleaner. <br />It will save you a lot of headaches in future repairs...just a Thought

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

You'll get that same lubrication from ANY major brand. Some may burn a little cleaner than others, they are all a far cry better than the SAE 30wt non-detergent motor oils we used to use not so long ago. There are 3 kinds of consumers, those who buy the best, those that buy the cheapest and those(like most)that stay somewhere in the middle. Marketers know this and for them to tap into all three groups they package thier products to appeal not to the end use, but to thier buyers. Consumer Reports done a SCIENTIFIC TEST on SAE oils and could find NO significant difference between brands. Without data we are just another person with an opinion! Save your money and buy another dozen minnows and don't let your boat own you!

imported_Little_Bear

Seaman Apprentice

Right On Big Dee,<br />I have been using Wal-Mart Supertech for long time and have had great luck with it. My friend is a professional guide and uses his Yamaha 200 + days a year with nothing but Supertech in the tank. He has never had an oil related failure or problem to my knowledge. Oh yeah it is real cheap:)<br /><br />Regards,<br />Little Bear