81 Evinrude 35hp good idling, bogs out on throttle

vmaxed

Cadet
just got it from someone who had it stored in a barn. Didn't know if it ran. I took it out today and all I could get it to do was idle. Throttling while in nuetral was good, but as soon as you put it in foward it would get all boggy, sputter - kick around then die out. It would troll along fine - low speed only :confused: . I put new plugs in, checked the compression, and fuel filter all seem good? Does this sound like carb trouble???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 81 Evinrude 35hp good idling, bogs out on throttle

Howdy VMaxed.<br /><br />Yep, sounds like carb trouble or running on one cylinder.<br /><br />Pull one plug wire and see if you can start it. Then pull the other and do the same. If it will start and idle on one but not the other you have a dead cylinder.<br /><br />If both cylinders are working, try spraying some fuel mix into the carb as you try to accellerate in gear, under load. If it picks up and goes, then dies, you have a gummed up carb.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

vmaxed

Cadet

yeap...I tryed the one plug test...and the top cylinder is dead. Won't run. Is it worth rebuilding it? How much for repairs? Thanks for the input.

JB

It's too soon to talk about rebuilding it. We don't yet know what the cause of your problem is.<br /><br />First, get a manual. You need to do a compression test and a spark test. <br /><br />My guess is that your compression is fine (over 90psi on each and less than 15psi difference) and that you have a bad coil.<br /><br />If you have no spark to the dead cylinder try swapping the coils and see if the trouble follows the coil.<br /><br />Let us know what you find. :)

vmaxed

Cadet

yeap....I have a manual, and I checked the compression on both cylinders...they are equal, just about 130psi. I did the plug wire test, and the top plug wire is not sparking. Plenty of spark on the bottem though. What do you suggest next? Thanx.

vmaxed

Cadet

Also ...what coil are you talking about? The manual has a few. The driver coil, the charge coil, or the sensor coil???? What else should be replaced while I'm at it.

JB

Hi, VMaxed.<br /><br />The coil I think is bad is the one that the plug wire comes from. Try swapping that one with the other (good) one.<br /><br />I don't have a manual on your engine so I can't vouch for the terminology.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

vmaxed

Cadet

Instead of swapping the coils, I am picking a new one this morning at my local Evinrude dealer here in town...$25. So I will exchange it and post what happens this afternoon. I was told it is called the ignition coil. Thanks for your input again.

vmaxed

Cadet

Ok I just replaced the ignition coil with a new one...still no spark. I swapped plugs wires, but still nothing. Could it be under the fly wheel...the coils, points etc. ????

vmaxed

Cadet

Well...she's all fixed. Purring like a kitten, plenty of power when you throttle her. Lots of spark. It ended up being the power pack. Had a melt on the side of the engine. Thank for all your help JB....