25 hp evinrude starts idles and will go in gear then no power

Ron 101

Cadet
1978 evinrude model 255852c, have been thru carb checked fuel pump bulb stays hard, everything is go but the motor and it will stay running but will not increase power when under load

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 25 hp evinrude starts idles and will go in gear then no power

Hello.<br />Did you clean out your fuel filter? <br />What happens when you try to gun your engine at the carburator-you know, push the little lever-?<br />Or accelerate by hand where the the wire from your remote hooks into the accelator on your engine.<br />You know I am just trying to check where it goes wrong.<br />By what you write everything else seems fine.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Do you have spark in both cylinders? Here's a test - warm up the motor. Shut it off, ground one of the spark plug wires to the motor block. Restart the motor. If it doesn't start at all, then the still connected wire is dead. If it restarts and sounds and performs exactly as it did before, then the disconnected on is the dead cylinder. If it works on both, then your problem is elsewhere. I'd also do a compression check...<br />- Scott

Ron 101

Cadet

thanks for the answers I did clean the filter but it didn't appear dirty I can get it to take off with power by using a starting fluid while runnig lots of power while it lasts the engine sounds smooth so I don't think I have a cylinder miss fire but I'll try that oh in a barrell it will take off but that doesn't put a load on it any help appreciated :)

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Ron,<br />Try to stay away from the starting fluid, that stuff tends to wash the lubrication out of your engine and can cause serious damage. Instead use a spray bottle with a fuel/oil mix.<br />Are you sure that you sprayed either carb. cleaner or air through all of the jets and small openings?

Ron 101

Cadet

HI captain yes I did clean all the parts in the carb I had it all apart, the only reason I used the spray was to see if the motor would go which it did even in the river, I have to have missed somethig I just don't know what it has elect. ignition and it seems to be advancing I just run out of ideas

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Ron.<br /><br />From what you describe, your engine can get enough fuel to idle and come slightly off of idle under load, but not enough to go any faster.<br /><br />Right so far?<br /><br />I agree with those inputs above. Your problem can be anywhere from the pickup in the fuel tank to the carb throat. I have found some of those problems to be associated with pinched fuel lines, clogged pickups in the tank, weak fuel pumps and insufficiently cleared passages (mainly hi speed circuit) in carbs.<br /><br />Take your fuel line loose from the carb and feed it into a plastic bottle. Spin the engine over and see if you get strong spurts of fuel into the bottle. If you do the problem is still in your carb. If you don't, trace back to see where the flow is restricted or air is getting into the system.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Ron 101

Cadet

thanks Admiral I do have a lots of fuel to the carb in fact I bipassed the pump and just kept the bulb pumped , no difference I've had the carb apart a few times and it seems really clean can it be the [flutter] valve where the fuel passes into the head :(