Evinrude 50 hp 4-stroke starter won't engage

tshea

Recruit
I just bought a Whaler Montauk with a 1999 Evinrude 50 hp 4-stroke. I am getting juice back to the engine as the trim/tilt works fine and the 30 amp and 15 amp fuses are in place. However, when I turn the ignition key I am not getting any response from the starter. Any thoughts would be welcomed!!! The engine was just tested in December and it started up fine then.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 50 hp 4-stroke starter won't engage

Make sure the control handle is in nuetral - and, if it is, try "rattling" the handle as you turn the key to the start position. I've seen a few instances where the nuetral safety switch is just a touch out of adjustment and this will happen.<br /><br />-John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, TShea.<br /><br />As John points out, the neutral switch only disables the starter circuit. Nothing else.<br /><br />It is also possible that your emergency kill switch is not engaged with the little horseshoe clip. I don't know if that kills the starter or only the ignition.<br /><br />When you say you get no response from the starter, do you mean nothing, or is there a click of the solenoid?<br /><br />Let us know what you find. :)

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

The Evinrude (Suzuki) 50HP 4-stroke also has a neutral safety switch on the engine - I'll bet it's out of adjustment.

tshea

Recruit

You guys hit the nail right on the head! Last night I was able to get the starter to turn over by inching the throttle up slightly to a position "above" neutral. Thank you much for the replies!<br /><br />Next question- how big of a deal is it to adjust the neutral safety switch? I would be the first to admit that I'm far from a master boat mechanic, but if this is an easy operation I'd prefer to do it myself rather than bring her into the shop at this time of year.<br /><br />Thanks again!

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

You'lle need to locate weather the switch is in the controller or in the motor housing which it probably is. <br /><br />It may be that you have a missadjusted cable from the controller.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

It's most likely the engine's neutral safety switch. Remove the port side engine cover. The switch is located near the shift linkage. Loosen the attaching bolt and adjust the switch as needed to correct the problem.