Johnson 115 V-4

RONALDCOLE

Cadet
On my Johnson 115 V-4, my # 1 and 2 cylinders aren't firing. I did a comparison ohms test to the right side and everything read the same. The ignition colis are fine too. It's not the plugs because I swapped those too. I checked for loose and broken wires alo. Is it possible I have a flaky power pack. All four cylinders were firing last year.<br />Thanks, Ron Cole

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 115 V-4

Looking at the back of the motor, facing forward, the cylinder arrangement is:<br /><br />2 - 1<br />4 - 3<br /><br />Is it the top 2 cylinders, or one of the banks? On a V4, one bank of cylinders could be a pack or a timer base. Do you have a service manual and what diagnostic testing have you done (specifically besides ohms testing something)? What year motor (post model number if you don't know year)?<br /><br />-John

RONALDCOLE

Cadet

Thanks John, it would be the left bank -- cylinder #1 on top and #2 on bottom. The engine is a 1984, model #J115TLCTE. I referenced an OMC service manual for the ohms readings. I sort of blundered on those 2 cylinders not firing because the engine did not seem to be running right, and I pulled the plug wires and did, indeed, find they were not firing. Fuel was fine, so I checked for spark on both plugs while cranking and there was no spark.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I thought we were dealing with one bank of cylinder's. Like I said earlier, t-base or pack. Do you have a peak-reading voltmeter (or a DVA adapter for a digital VOM) to perform ignition voltage tests? Timer base should output over a volt (2 to 3 is typical), resistance spec is in service manual, don't forget to check for shorts to ground. If t-base check ok, then it's the pack.<br /><br />-John<br /><br />BTW - I - N - T - R - O - D - U - C - E - S<br />**** - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 0<br /><br />J115TLCTE = 83

RONALDCOLE

Cadet

Thanks again John -- I'll check it out and let you know what's happening.<br /><br />Ron Cole

RiverMan

Cadet

Hello <br />I Have same problem same engine. I you search for 115 Johnson V4 you will find more imputs on this subject. I did exactly what you had done..also removed flywheel to check stator condition and did readings on timer base with results on both sides of 3. My problem is with the 2 top cylinders. I thinking that maybe is one or both powerpacks. I borrowed a powerpack from a friend who suggested to reverse the powerpacks first. Well I hope we find a solution to the same problem with nthe help of many helpfull and experience people that are willinour motors with the help from maand expertize of many helpfull people on this board. Thanks to all

RiverMan

Cadet

Hi<br />Ron Cole<br /> :eek: I am sorry, on my last two lines I was trying to said Thanks to many experince people on this board who are willing to help all of us. ( my laptop is very sensitive).<br />.. :cool: ..

Had the same problem on my 1975 85 Evinrude turned out to be a cracked and cooked stator. Look for a green wax like substance running down from under the flywheel if it's there than the rectifier probably is gone and took out the stator with it. Good luck I finaly let a pro do mine and it cost a few pretty pennies but I was running out of hairs to pull on my head.

RONALDCOLE

Cadet

here's an update on my Johnson 115 problem: after doing various resistance and voltage checks, which all read fine, I got disgusted and swapped power packs -- guess what? the problem transferred to the other bank, so I ended up ordering a new power pack -- I'm hoping this year I can get out on the water a bit -- the engine ran like a champ before I started having problems, so thanks to eveyone for their input<br /><br />Ron Cole

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Riverman,<br /><br />You need to start a new thread for your new question.<br /><br />Side by side cylinders share a carb, not a power pak. You need to overhaul your top carburator.<br /><br />Good luck :)