Evinrude 9 1/2 problems

Brento311

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am having problems with my '72 Evinrude 9.5 hp. It idles fine, and runs excellent at slow speeds, but when i put the throttle wide open, it bogs down and doesn't go as fast as it used to. Sometimes the choke lever will come out on its own, and this causes the motor to slow down dramatically, but even when the choke doesn't come out it still goes slow at WOT. Yesterday when i unhooked the fuel line to run it out of gas, i put it wide open and took a few runs around the pond. Right as the last bit of gas was running out, it took off, and went faster than I've seen it go in a long time. I get so frustrated, and don't know what the problem is. Any suggestions? Thanks<br /><br />Brent

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 9 1/2 problems

Howdy, Brent.<br /><br />Your engine seems to be running too rich. I don't remember if that carb has an adjustable high speed jet, but if it does, try turning it in (CW) about 1/4 to 1/2 turn.<br /><br />If the high speed jet is fixed, you may have a float needle that is not sealing the inlet to the carb bowl properly. Pull the carb apart and check this out. While you have it apart you might as well put an overhaul kit in it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Brento311

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi JB, my motor only has a low speed adjustment. Where is the needle located, and what needs to be done to it? Thanks<br /><br />Brent

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm. I think you need to get a manual, Brent. Even check one out of your local library.<br /><br />You need to take the carb off and disassemble it. There is a float in the bowl that opens a needle valve when it is down and should close it when it rises (floats) on the incoming fuel.<br /><br />A manual will guide you. While you have the carb apart it would be smart to install the replacement parts and gaskets that come in an overhaul kit. The kit is available at any Johnson/Evinrude dealer. Be sure you follow the manual instructions for setting the float height correctly and adjusting the low speed jet after you have reinstalled the carb.<br /><br />Good luck :)

Brento311

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks...I have some photocopies of a manual that someone made for me...it has all the stuff about taking apart the carb and all that. It sounds so confusing about setting the float and setting the needle and all, but is it really all that hard? This is my first outboard motor, and I'm 17 years old, so I'm really taking it one step at a time, but learning a lot also. <br /><br />Brent

D

DJ

Brent,<br /><br />Your probably reading alot more into it than what is really involved. Take it one step at a time.<br /><br />The float level adjustment is simply determining the level that the float will reach until it closes the fuel supply off-with the needle.<br /><br />One hint, take a good look at the float. If it is a plastic material, it's probably OK. If it's cork, replace it.<br /><br />More than likely, it's just the needle hanging up in the seat.<br /><br />Glad to have you onboard here. Welcome.