Why are 2 stroke plugs flat?

Dennyps

Seaman
All my adult life I have worked on car's and 4 stroke motors, but I have never had any training on 2 strokes. So don't laugh but I pulled the plugs out of my 68 evinrude motor and they looked great! but they had a small hole in the center rather than a "post" type electrode, can someone explain why? Thanks in advance, Denny

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Why are 2 stroke plugs flat?

They are surface gapped plugs for sustained high speed use. Johnson/Evinrude list them as an optional plug on some motors. Not sure of your motor but it does take you by surprise when you first remove and see one.<br /><br />Bob

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi guys, <br /><br />I have the same thing, my plugs have no earth terminal.<br /><br />I was wondering why they do this? do they work better? if so, why have they not been adopted elsewhere?<br /><br />If they are not as good, then I'll be swapping back to normal ones, those plugs cost me $7 each.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

D

DJ

You CAN go back to the "normal" ones.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I use surface gap plugs in an old Chrysler that's been run hard for over 20 years...I have 2 sets of plugs and twice a year a change plugs and use oven cleaner to clean the others for the next change...20 years ago they cost me about a buck apiece...just a Thought

Dennyps

Seaman

Thanks all, I guess I got a good set of plugs with this boat of mine. Can't wait to fire it up and see how she does with them. Thanks again Denny