Why won't it start?

Vin P

Cadet
I just took my boat out of storage, and before I put it in the water for the season, I want to fix a problem I had last year. The motor is an Evinrude 50, 2 cyl from 1972. Occasionally, when the motor is cold, it won't start; there is absolutely no spark, but there is power getting to the power pack. Eventually(sometimes a few minutes, sometimes 3 hours) it fires and runs as if it never had a problem, and will always start when the motor is warm. I can't find any bad connections or other visible problems. Could the power pack cause this? One time, when it was acting up I heated the power pack up with a heat gun, but that didn't help. Any ideas?

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Why won't it start?

Some of these engine had too much sensor gap, which causes hard starting, www.Rapair.com makes a sensor gap guage to adjust this gap for engines that have pp2, pp3,pp4 power packs. May not be your problem. One way to check this is when it is not sparking, take the plugs out and try a spark test, the engine will spin faster and if it makes a spark, then adjust the sensor.