68 evinrude gas/oil mixture? STIHL type ok?

Dennyps

Seaman
Hey all, this site has been so helpful. And you all have been so great with this new boater, thanks so much. I am still waiting for my manual to arrive, so could anyone help with what the mixture is gas/oil on a 68 evinrude 3 cylinder 2 stroke? <br />Has anybody had experience using STIHL high performance engine oil?

Dennyps

Seaman
Re: 68 evinrude gas/oil mixture? STIHL type ok?

Hey schematic, no as a matter of fact I cannot find a reference to TCW-111. I even went to the Stihl's web site and I could find no mention of that particular fact. I just happened to have a six pack of it around the shop and it certainly makes my blower run good without a lot of smoke. Do you know why that particular component is important {in boat motors}, or is there somewhere that I could look up to find out the facts on TCW-111? Thanks so much for your time, Denny

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Denny...Stihl 2cycle oil is made for air cooled motors...it will work for a while but will carbon your o/b motor that runs at much lower temps...use it of you get stranded but it could cause damage if used more than that...<br />just a Thought

petryshyn

Commander

Thought101 is right, if it don't say TCW-III, don't use it in marine apps....

Dennyps

Seaman

Thanks Thoughtful and schematic, i was looking through the GI Joe's adds here in town and they have amsoil on sale. I read some good feedback about amsoil for marine applications. I will go down and check it out and get some. Thanks again, either of you have any idea as to the ratio for oil and gas? I have read in iboat that the older motors {mine 68 evinrude 3 cylinder 2 cycle} tend to need a 24-40 to 1 mixture verses some of the newer engines. Although I have also read that amsoil recommends 50-100 to 1 mixtures. Any thoughts on this?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Johnson and Evinrude have recommended a 50:1 mix since 1964.

Dennyps

Seaman

Hey SeaHorse, thanks a bunch. Now If my manual would just come in the mail I would be a happy camper, Denny

ehenry

Commander

Why not buy Johnson/Evinrude oil and mix it at 50:1 like the manufacture recommends? Just asking? Can't get much better than that?

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

You've got one of the best Evinrude/Johnson dealers available in the PacNW @ Pacific Boatland, on Hwy 99 in Hazel Dell. Get your oil there and they'll give you all the free advise you need.

Dennyps

Seaman

Thanks efhenry & Capn Mike, funny enough I did just that today efhenry, I picked up that very oil. Thanks Capn Mike, I will definately check out PacNW. Denny

Evin Not Rude

Recruit

I was given a tip years ago regarding using Quicksilver oil and Amaco Premiun gasoline and I have to say, I have never had a fuel problem with that mix.