68 Evinrude [1 loose wire] 2 places to go?

Dennyps

Seaman
Hey all, I have a 68 Evinrude [model 55873R] on a 63 Glasspar. Under the motor cover I have one loose wire. It is "green" and comes up from the leg in a small harness {passenger side w/ one other blue wire} wraps around the back of the motor and ends up on the {drivers side} with the other "blue" wire. As far as I can tell there are two places it could go [empty sockets] 1. it could go into the main wiring harness {second slot from the bottom. 2. into a sub harness {top slot} with three other wires. I have digital pic's available and can email if someone is familar with this type of motor do you have any ideas? {my book is on the way, so I don't have a wiring diagram presently} Although I suspect it's from the "tranny" but I am definately not sure! thanks for you time in advance, Denny {You can send me an email just say "send pic's" and I will reply with jpg. attached pics} [dennyps2001@yahoo.com] Thanks again, Denny

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 68 Evinrude [1 loose wire] 2 places to go?

Hi Denny,<br />The loose wire that you are discribing is from the electric shift in the lower unit.It usually hooks up to a like colored wire that goes to the control box. These wires are usually covered by a rubber boot,and are connected by knife connectors.<br />Hore this helps

Dennyps

Seaman

Hey thanks almost retired I will look into that and let you know how it goes. Appreciate ya, Denny

Dennyps

Seaman

Hey Almost retired, I closely inspected all of the possible places that wire could go and found the really only logical place was into the main wiring harness. Funny though that wire was what appeared to be a #12 house copper wire, unlike all of the others that were #14 & 16 multi-strand copper wires. From an electricians standpoint, it dosent make sense for a 12 volt system. Anyways I ended up putting a cap on the copper wire {just can't solder those big guy's without braising} and jumping down to a #14 mulit-strand which I soldered to the old clip and reinserted the clip and wire into the harness. Now as soon as I get this thing started I guess I will know if I fixed it or not. Thanks again, Denny